Monday, November 20, 2006

Our Christmas Traditions

The Stallard Family at Our Wedding, 2005.



In my family, we have a few Christmas traditions. In our extended families, we "trade" names and buy a present for only one person, except for the kids, who get gifts from everyone (make a note that "kid" is defined as someone who is still in school, hence motivation to continue ones education well into the 20's). My family is also extremely practical. Every Christmas, until she passed away in 2003, my Grandma Fran got us ALL bra's, underware, and sox for Christmas (as well as many other things...her "love language" was Gift Giving)

So, every Thanksgiving, we sit down with (or call) family members and do a gift exchange drawing, or you get a sort of absentee ballot drawing thingy, if you are not there. When you put your name into the hat, it must include a list of items that you would like to have. Not just one, but a list...hence my post for today...

Now, that I am not only one, nor two, but three, this drawing takes on a new level of complication. I have to think of lists for myself, Conrad (who insists he doesn't want anything for Christmas...and we all know that never works!), and Isabelle, who is too young to browse through the Toys-R-Us Christmas Catalogue just yet.

So on my list, I have decided that I want some good parenting books and some new worship CD's. And I need suggestions. Shanygne told me all of the Growing Kids God's Way books were great and a couple of other friends suggested Sheparding Your Child's Heart. Any other suggestions? How about suggestions for new worship CD's...I feel out of the loop on this too! How about kids worship or scriptures memory CD suggestions? Help! Christmas lists looming!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do understand that. Eric keep saying he does not know what he wants for Christmas either. When I told him he needed to have his list, he just said "no". Men!! Can't help you with the parenting books or anything though! Sorry. See you in a couple of days!

Anonymous said...

There are a lot of great scripture memory cd's out there...just a browse thru a Christian bookstore will wield several. I can't remember the name of the ones we had. there are also a lot of Kidz Praise cd's out there, using contemporary worship songs sung by kids and they are actually really good... Hillsongs does the best ones, I think...
Shanygne

JaydensJourney said...

Hero Tales... there are four volumes (Amazon.com). They are about heros of the Christian faith. There are 3 stories tied to 3 character qualities for each hero. I would guestimate they are for 8-10 year olds, but I plan on reading them to Jayden much earlier. Each book is about $11.

Anonymous said...

In a few years you will want to get this book for ideas of stuff to do with the kids. "Kids Love Ohio: A Parent's Guide to Exploring Fun Places in Ohio With Children. . .year Round!" By: George Zavatsky, Michele Zavatsky. I also liked some of the ideas from "Love and Logic Magic for Early Childhood: Practical Parenting from Birth to Six Years" By: Jim Fay, Charles Fay. It's not "christian" just practical.

"Here I am to Worship for Kids" is a great kids CD. Aaron Shust, Starfield, Casting Crowns, Third Day are a few of my favorites artists right now.

Angie Peck

TulipGirl said...

My fave parenting resources the past few years have been:

The Ministry of Parenting Your Baby
Relational Parenting
Heartfelt Discipline
Families Where Grace is in Place

All come from a take-the-Bible-seriously Christian point of view.


(Btw, I surfed in, link from a link from a link. *grin* Saw parenting books mentioned and had to comment!)