Thursday, August 03, 2006

What's in a name?

Today my parents are coming into town. They are here for a conference and will leave on Saturday and return on Tuesday for Isabelle's arrival. I stopped calling them because everytime I call they go, "Hellllloooooooooo?????" (what they are really saying in that one word is "is it time? is that why you are calling us?") Then I start the conversation with "No baby yet. I just wanted to check in see what time you were going to be here." or something along those lines. Then they answer with an "ohh" (the disappointment dripping from thier voices). Of course, who's more disappointed?? Me, 9 months pregnant in 100 degree weather or them? Of course, they are still first time grandparents...I don't think excited quite expresses thier feelings!
My parents want a different name than Grandma and Grandpa. They have been researching names from all over the world for thier new position in life. I think they have settled on the greek, Oma and Opa (we have greek friends in South Africa who suggested this). In Conrad's family the grandkids call his dad, "Ta ta" which is Tamil for Grandpa, and everyone calls his mom, "Mommy." But, since in the states, Mommy is what a small child calls his mom, I think I am going to use that one, and we are going to try to institute "Amama" which is Tamil for Grandma. We'll see how well that works with everyone else calling her something else :) Little kids in India call thier mothers "Ama" in India...or I guess the english equvilent would be "Mama."
Anyway, just thought I would ask if anyone has any other suggestions for grandparents names. They had one from Swahili, but honestly, they could never remember it! And they threw russian around, but who wants to be called Babushka? Any thoughts?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know you - just ran across your site. Grandmother in Swahili is "Bibi" and Grandfather is "Babu".
Hope that helps!

Anonymous said...

I answered the phone to same way when you called me. I thought for sure the baby was coming. My only opinion on the grandma and grandpa thing is that it has to be something I can remember too so that I can teach my kids to call them that. And of course something that Eric can remember too. I hope they stick with Oma and Opa. Those names are pretty good and I can remember them. We will see you Tues. or Wed.

Shanygne said...

Oma and Opa are great! I like it...
We go with the traditional...I was hoping that in Toddler-ese, we would end up with something more fun, but it never happened...there was the temporary Gumpa and my dad is Papa, to differentiate, since he passed away... so, it's Grandpa Burt and Grandpa Gullickson and Grandma Bonnie and Grandma Julie....boring, but fundtional

Anonymous said...

Bajau's too hard. I vote for greek. My heart dropped-- skipped when I saw your e-mail line "baby on the way" but the connection's dreadful here and it took 10 minutes to get the rest of the message! So you managed to plan the birth, eh? Nice to know! What time o day? We'll be in the village Tue night our time, then back Wed morning for a few days... RM

Anonymous said...

By the way- If Eric gets a vote, he wants to call them grandma and grandpa doggie. Since they will be the grandparents with the dog.

Anonymous said...

Danielle this is Lenny. Just got back from vacation and and now looking at the photos. She is a doll, very cute. We miss you here but not that much that you need to come back and do clinics. Take care of the little one. I also showed the photos to Vivian and as a G mom she is impressed. She sends her regards. Take care.