Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Bonus Blessings

This weekend we went to my parents for Easter. They let my Grandpa out of rehab on Sunday and it was nice to be together. When your loved one's get older, it seems that each holiday or family dinner is a bonus blessing. I think we are all feeling that way about Papaw.
He has diabetes and is on full dialysis for the past few years. This past year or so has been really rough on him and any little health upset sends his body to the brink. A couple of months ago, they discovered that his circulation in his foot wasn't great and to make a long story short, had to amputate his leg. So now he is getting use to life with one leg, already being shaky on two legs.

They just finished building a beautiful little house attached to my parent’s house, so it's a huge blessing that my grandma has my mom and dad near to help with him. My Dad refuses to put him in a rest home, even though caring for him may be difficult. He says he remembers when he was little and his dad took him hunting. During the trip, he got tired and Papaw carried him the rest of the night on his back. Dad says the least he can do is carry him in his old age.

A few days ago, he had another bad “spell” and all of the pain medication he was on was making him a bit loopy. My Grandma came into his room at rehab and said he was making little baby noises, like he was talking to a baby. And was saying, “Hey, Little Baby,” in his raspy southern voice. My Grandma asked him who he was talking to, and he said, “I was taking to that little baby, and she was here, but then she just disappeared.” She asked, “Are you talking about Isabelle?” He said yes. She laughed and laughed.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Danielle its Tiff! I am glad that overall it was a nice Easter for you and your family! I will be sending you soon an invite to my ordination!!! Much Love!! Tiff

Shanygne said...

Your dad is soooooo great!! I love his answer to putting grandpa in a home... I hope I have that kind of attitude if the day ever comes to make that kind of decision.

Glad you got to spend another holiday with him! I remember thinking every time we were with Grandma Gullickson that we were on borrowed time... and each time was special.

Anonymous said...

Hi Michaels Family,

Sorry you had a cold snowy Easter but am glad Laymon could be with you guys. All is well in Southern California. Isabelle is absolutely positively beautiful and I LOVE checking out all the new pictures you post.... and she looks good in every color of the rainbow. Good luck with the job search! This one sounds great! Love you all....Becky (& Mike)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tribute and inspiration. I'm always challenged to see the way Christians in other countries put feet to their faith in caring for parents, when Americans seem so blind to our calling.
No ultrasound yesterday... I had the schedule wrong, and we have to wait until next month. Bummer! RM