Thursday, April 19, 2007

Gravy & Biscuits

I had a couple of requests for this recipe, so I thought I would post it. I named it Grandma Margie’s but the name in the book is “Shorty’s Biscuits & Gravy” And I haven’t run this by Gram officially, so I may be taking liberties with her name!

Note: I found out, do not use a non stick pan, it’s like all of the grease, that you desperately need for the gravy evaporates! I was dumbfounded. The one time I WANTED grease in my food, it wasn’t there….I don’t get it. So truly, use a well seasoned iron skillet, if you have it. If not, probably a no non-stick pan would work. And I think Grandma brushes her biscuits with water before baking. And last but not least, make sure that your dough is NOT kneeded too much, and is ½ inch thick, and shake up the buttermilk before you add it to the recipe…lessons I learned the hard way.

Grandma Margie's Biscuits & Gravy

Biscuits
2 c all purpose flour-sifted
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/3 c crisco, chilled
3.4 c buttermilk
Preheat oven to 450 degrees, into flour, stir powder, soda, salt, cut in chilled crisco until looks like coarse meal. Add buttermilk. Stir lightly until all moistened. Form into ball and transport to lightly floured surface. Kneed about 6 times. Roll into 1/2 inch thick and cut into 2 inch disks. On oiled baking sheet bake for 16 minutes or until golden brown.

Gravy
1 pound meat
3 tsp flour
2 c whole milk
salt & pepper

Brown meat in iron skillet, transfer meat out, keeping 3 tbsp drippings in. Over medium heat, sprinkle flour and whisk 2 - 3 minutes until brown. Add milk and continue to stir until bubble and thickens, season with salt & pepper.



This is a picture of my Grandma at my Uncle's wedding with Vicky, Jona, and Jenna

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, D! Maybe I'll try this for the rents who will be in town this weekend for Mark's dunking RM

Anonymous said...

Being from Illinois, now living in Minnesota, I do have some southern roots and have tried over and over again to make the biscuits that my dad makes, who's mom was Aunt Margie's sister - yet their biscuit recipe is different. However, after many attempts of making them with no measurement directions, I think I have finally got them down... However, this recipe only calls for Self Rising Flour, 1tsp of baking soda and Buttermilk. Wish I could tell you the measurements, but I have never been told either and every attempt to make them is a guess with fingers crossed that they turn out!

I, too, have an Aunt Margie recipe story. I absolutely LOVE her banana pudding and she has only been able to guess at the measurements and cooking time for that. She says a little bit of this and a little bit of that and cook it until it looks thick. Needless to say it has never turned out and any other Banana Pudding just is not the same.

Good luck on the biscuits... they look like they turned out to me!!
Tara