Friday, July 06, 2007

A Wicked Night

I LOVE theater. I think it’s from years and years of doing drama training at Teen Mania. It’s kind of a love/hate relationship. From the summers of my youth training in hot muggy July MIAMI: eating, sleeping and dreaming in 8-counts. Come one, I know some of you remember those days!? Remember you’d be so enthralled in training that you’d get up in the morning brushing your teeth like this?…front brush: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 right side: 1,2,3,4, 5, 6, 7,8 …you get the picture. And who could forget, “La decision eres tuya.”?

But I digress. Thursday night a few girlfriends and I went out to see “Wicked.” We got the tickets months ago, and at that point they were almost sold out, so sat in the second to the back row…WAAAAAYYYYY up in the nose bleed section. I had big tall afro guy in front of me. I had to crane my neck to the left or right , depending on where the characters in the show were. But still….GREAT theater!

If you haven’t seen it. Put it on your list. It’s the tale of the Wicked Witch of the East (in the Wizard of Oz), and how she really wasn’t wicked, just misunderstood. It was great to see these particular friends and hang out with them, because we rarely get to see each other. But the entire time, I found myself enthralled in the staging and dynamics of the performance. Things like, “Wow, great levels!.” I’m not sure what to blame that on, because the story line was very good. Maybe it was the fact that I am now a parent to a almost toddler and have no attention span, or perhaps it is because of the years of drama training. Or perhaps it is because I’m a government worker and we are known to get caught up in minutiae and miss the larger points. Who knows.

And…thanks to my wonderful husband who minded the fort while I was gone from sunup to sundown that day and took care of our little munchkin while I went out to play and have fun! He really is a wonderful husband!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you suggested going! I had a great time, and I thought the show was really clever. Andrea enjoyed herself as well, and I'm sure Christy did too.

We'll have to do it again sometime when another cool show comes along!

Anonymous said...

Mark and I just watched Shakespeare in the Park, Romeo & Juliet this weekend, with Esther who was here for a visit. I too was thinking about how much I love theatre (and our rare musicals we enjoyed in college) and how I wish I were still a drama queen! RM