Thursday, August 21, 2008

Baby Preperation Slacker

I was recently reading a blog about a friend who is pregnant with her second child. Actually, she’s not as much a friend, as a friend of a friend, so you probably don’t know her! Anyway, she is preparing for their second child. She was due in a few weeks and is in the throws of baby showers and decorating the nursery, washing baby clothes, and unpacking baby equipment. This made me feel…well, like I’m in the slow group.

For one, I don’t want any more baby stuff. The idea of getting one more piece of baby equipment makes me a little anxious. It makes me want to call the bulk pick up guys and schedule an appointment for some serious haul away. I have always felt like one thing coming in merits one thing going out. New crib? Okay, an old bed has to go. New dresser? Alright, let’s throw away an old desk then. I am THE polar opposite of my mother’s family. They are keepers (how MANY boxes of Christmas decorations do you have Mom? 20?). Ever visited my Papaw Clynis’s garage? It gives me a nervous twitch to even think about its existence.

Secondly, I don’t know what we’re having. We decorated Isabelle’s nursery with the idea that a subsequent baby, no matter what the sex, would be in the same nursery. So it’s fabulously neutral green. Ever the pragmatic. The thought has crossed my mind that I need to go through some old baby clothes and sort into a “Can Use” pile if it’s a girl and if it’s a boy, but I figure some helpful relative (mom) might help out with this when the baby is born. I might even stroll through the newborn isle the next time I go to the store and buy a gender neutral hospital outfit or two.

Thirdly, even diapers I hesitate to buy, since all that good stuff I planned for with Isabelle I couldn’t even use until she was about 2 months old, I had to rush out and buy preemie diapers and clothes anyway. So, in my mind, Conrad can rush out, while I’m still at the hospital and make that happen.

What has happened to me? I used to think Martha Stewart was so cool. Now I think she’s a wasteful over achiever, who uses children as background accessories. I guess that’s parenthood for you.

UPDATE: The picture here has the sole item Michael Baby #2 has had purchased for him/her. This lovely gender neutral “going home from the hospital” outfit.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't worry, Danielle. You know that we can take care of the clothing needs of the second Baby Michael, even including some diapers, if needed. This is what great aunt Brenda does best.

Love you and hope you're feeling better.
Aunt Brenda

Anonymous said...

Danielle, I was just waiting for "the WORD". So we can go shopping. We will definitely wait until he (maybe she) is born to buy all the "cutsie" stuff but we can start loading up with other stuff. How about Sunday to come and help you? I love you. Oma

Unknown said...

Danielle maybe it's just me but come that 2nd child the only thing I washed and prepared was onesies (sp?) and receiving blankets. I did buy a pack of diapers, but couldn't use them because my 2nd child skipped the newborn size. I set some money to the side for the items I knew I was going to need, and sent my husband and mom out for the basics after the baby was born. I spent my time with my new baby and getting my two year old to like the new baby. To me that was my priority.

drowninginblessing said...

Hi Danielle, I'm a big fan of yellow and orange... nice variations of the green theme. And white of course. You have some baby bows left over from Isabelle, right? So if it's a guy, let his bald head tell all; if its a girl, accessorize. :)