Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Rainbow Cupcakes

For Easter, we brought treats to school for Isabelle and Grace. The girls and I decided to make Rainbow cupcakes for the occasion. The thing is kids don't really seem to appreciate really good food, so I decided not to waste my time on a homeade cake, so I went ahead and bought a plain white cake mix. We then divided the batter up in several bowls and added food coloring. We layered up the different colors in the muffin tins to achieve the rainbow look. It was a big hit!


Now, for the frosting, I just couldn't skimp. Martha Stewart has a Swiss Buttercream Frosting recipe that is THE BEST THING EVER! Although, I have to say, everytime I make it I end up beating the eggwhites in my mixer for about 30 minutes and fearful the whole time that I am going to have to make a last minute trip to the store because my frosting won't turn out! It's A.MAZING. It's not sweet, but very rich. We colored it blue and covered it with rainbow sprinkles...big hit!

No comments: