Friday, February 09, 2007

The Check Up

This morning we had Isabelle’s 6 month check-up/immunization visit. We are getting used to getting shots. She seemed to be less traumatized by the shots, yet still very traumatized by the doctor, himself. The moment he puts the stethoscope to her chest she starts shaking and crying!

Our morning started off well, as we were in the waiting area, sitting calmly, playing. The 4 year old boy sitting next to us was being instructed by his (somewhat overzealous) mother that they were going to see the “tickle doctor.” What doctor is that? Not our doctor. See, I’m just not a big fan of lying to the kids. When they get in there and there are not tickles, just pokes, it would confirm that you, mother, are not trustworthy. Just a big fat liar!

So, we went into the ped’s office and began the normal procedure. Today took so much longer than usual. And, something new, a LPN came in and “triaged” us. She told me all of the things I’m supposed to be doing. Most of which I tuned out as I smiled and nodded. I read too much to take some of her lame advice. I know I sound like a know-it-all. But what do they say? “I’m the mom.”

THEN the doctor came in. I have to tell you about Dr. D (I’ll call him this to protect the innocent). When Conrad and I went to the first few appointments together, we had to make a conscience effort not to look at each other when Dr. D. would talk. Because he repeats himself three or four times. “What I think……What I think……What. I. Think…….is that we need to up her feedings to every two hours.” “She needs….she needs…..She….Needs….to be sleeping 14 hours every day.” All very comical.

So the outcome was, Isabelle is 14 pounds, 3 and ½ ounces and 25 inches long (25 percentile). Right on schedule and hitting all of the appropriate milestones. Plus, Dr D. said, “She has a beautifully shaped head.” Then thought he’d add, “I guess that’s like telling someone they have a nice a**, but it’s always nice to hear.”

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Danielle, for all you do to keep me (and everyone) in touch with my beautiful great neice. I loved the video! Your cold snowy weather sounds kind of fun to me. It has been incredibly warm out here in San Diego. The weather was in the high 80's all week. It has started to cool down and hopefully we will get some much needed rain.
Love you all! Aunt Becky

Shanygne said...

Wow...Dr.Dr sure has a way with words!
Glad Isabelle is healthy and growing!! And you're right...you ARE the momma!!