Monday, March 19, 2007

Tour Snob


I know many of you will relate to this. I have been traveling around the world, off the American tourist beaten track and I usually hate to go to tourist locations. I really never wanted to visit Australia. Why? Well, EVERYONE wants to go to Australia, so why would I? I can see their pictures and hear their stories, so I don’t need to go. But, Tibet…now that’s a not a typical American vacation destination…now is it?
Anyway, along with my particular travel ideas, I have developed a distaste for “tours.” I always felt that going on a bus with a group of tourists and a tour guide that told you what to do and took you along, following his red umbrella, was the sissy way. I mean, where is the fun in that? No language barriers? No going to the wrong hotel? What?

Well, I am here to tell you that I have officially grown old. Conrad and I went on a “tour” to a park called Xel-Ha while we were in Cancun and snorkled and then to a small ruin on the sea. It was wonderful, in fact, probably the highlight of our trip. And I found out that I LIKED when Humberto (our guide) would tell us what to expect and explain the history of a place to us. I LIKED the fact that I didn’t have to think, just follow and enjoy. I LIIKED the fact that they dropped me off at the door of my hotel that night, the RIGHT hotel, and I didn’t have to struggle to tell them which one it was. Ohhh…I think I’m destine to be a toursist…*sigh*

3 comments:

The Shenks said...

OH, that's just the difference between being on VACATION, where you aren't supposed to do anything, and be on a MISSION FROM GOD.
You are so funny! Glad you enjoyed your trip!

Anonymous said...

Jeez that makes me miss Jamaica so much! Now I want to go snorkel in the ocean!! Anywhere warm would be nice after this long, cold winter!! I am envious!

Shanygne said...

Look at the sunburn!

I think I like it both ways, but I do like to learn things that tour guides can tell you... but getting the wrong one is soooo annoying.

Love you!!