Wednesday, September 12, 2007

The Pastor @ Crossroads Church

Many of my family already know this, but for those of you who don’t, I thought I would post some an update of kinds. My dad (who is a pastor) is building a new church! We are very excited about this venture and they have been praying and planning for a couple of years in order to do this! The church is coming up fast and one of the best things about the church?? It will be cheaper than what they have been paying in rent! That must be my pragmatic side speaking…

I am very happy for my parents who have labored for years in this particular “field.” My dad spent years being a bi-vocational pastor while pouring his heart and soul full-time into ministry. They have always told the Lord that they would love and take those who no one else wanted. They have been true to their word and have had a fair share of people that others might not find loveable.

They have been MORE than faithful in loving, caring, and depositing into these people. I can say that because I grew up there and got to witness the middle of the night freak outs that they calmly attended to, or the crazy worship leader who went off the deep that they maturely handled, or the regular stream of baggage laden gays who always came through the doors (to a small town, spirit filled church??? ) that they shared truth and love with. That’s not to mention the single mothers, drug addicts (some current, some past), and mentally handicapped folks who’s lives they impact every day!

My dad has always been THE example of what it looks like to be a Follower of Christ to me. He didn’t raise us to be only Believers, but true Disciples. Because of him (and my mom, of course!), I know that the Christian life involves service. Usually sacrificial amounts of service. I know that it involves putting your needs aside to meet the needs of others. They taught me that reaching people isn’t about playing the odds or the statistical probability that they will “stick” or “grow” but that you simply love people and choose to see them how Christ sees them…clean and perfect.

The lessons he took time to intentionally teach me as a child and young adult have stuck with me and defined who I am today. These days I have been watching him as he faithfully and tenderly sacrifices to care for my aging grandfather…his dad. This has been hard on all of us, but particularly hard on my dad who is really close to his dad. I think his actions have a reach far beyond what he knows. It reaches back a generation and forward several more!


I am so thankful for my dad and the godly heritage he has given to us. And now, I am sooo thankful that he is a part of Isabelle’s life and a big part of Isabelle’s spiritual heritage! Dad, I don’t tell you enough how much I admire you and who you are. We love you!!!

“He commanded our forefathers to teach their children, so the next generation would know them, even the children yet to be born, and they in turn would tell their children. Then they would put their trust in God and would not forget His deeds but would keep His commands."
Psalm 78:5-7 (NIV)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Danielle, You are a gift to all of us. The way you put your thoughts into words on paper is amazing and such a blessing to so many people who read what you write! You are amazing and I love you so much! Thanks for sharing your life in such an awesome way!
And Isabelle...what can I say...she is absolutely adorable! Love you all! Becky

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful tribute to a very special man!! Both of your parents have probably touched and impacted more lives than they can even imagine.
Congratulations and many blessings to Steve and Molly and their entire church family as they build and enter their new Church!

Anonymous said...

Danielle,
For those of us who serve the Lord under your parents and love them as much as you, a big "thank you" for putting into words what we feel. Their lives have always been such examples to us, and I can honestly say they exemplify what a servant of the Lord truly is. It is such a privilege to be part of what God is doing at this time.
Love you......Aunt Brenda

Shanygne said...

wow. I am literally in tears! I only know your parents peripherally but they just "ooze" Jesus.
I pray that my kids would one day speak of me the way you do your parents!
Can they teach me how??

Anonymous said...

Danielle I just wanted to let you know that I check out your blog whenever I can so I can stay updated!! You write very well, and I love to see all the cute pics of Isabelle!! I especially enjoyed your last post about your dad's church and papa, very sweet....made me tear up! I went and saw pappy sunday and he was sitting up eating chx finger and mac and chz, oranges, he was feeding himself and everything and was pretty coherent. The whole thing just makes me sad though...to be expected I guess, but papa is such a stand up funny guy that its always hard to see him this way. Well, love you and tell Conrad and Isabelle I said hello!! Love Tiff

drowninginblessing said...

Amen to all you said about Pastor Steve... he's been a pastor and a father to so many of us, a priceless gift. (Molly too!)
Thanks for the church pictures... I didn't realize the construction was moving along so quickly! Woohoo! Rachel M

Anonymous said...

Danielle, Your Dad and Mom have always been exactly who you described. You and your family are truly blessed! I'm very excited about their new church and your Grandma keeps me updated. Isabelle is just adorable. Hope to see you all when I come out there next time. Love, Vicky